Skip to main content

The One-Legged Girl and the Apple Orchard

If BT could cast a line up to heaven, my Nan would be the first one on the blower.
‘Tom, bring me that phone.  I want to speak to Him.’
‘You mean God?’
‘No, not Him.  I mean Him: your granddad.’
She’d get me to read out the number as she dialled it.  I can picture her now: glasses perched at the end of her nose, hunched over with age, repeating and verifying each number as if she had just learnt to count, thumping each digit on the keypad with a wrinkled finger, mumbling something angrily incoherent as it connected.  Before He even answered, she’d begin ranting as if ten years without him had never passed.

My Nan likes to moan.  If words were air miles, she could live on the plane. 

‘Me hips are digging in and paining [sic] me like daggers, I can’t hardly walk, me eyes don’t work properly, and what’s more, if I want to see anything clearer than a shadow, I’ve got to hold my bloody eyelid up!  Then there’s this damn perm that’s as flat as road kill and doesn’t look much better besides; the arthritis, the high blood and not getting no sleep.  What else is there?  Oh, and I can’t save bugger all.’
‘Your mouth’s still running smoothly though, Nan.’
‘Ha! I bet you wish that would stop working as well.’
‘That would be nice.’ 
‘It won’t be today.’  
 ‘I thought as much.’
‘But I’m doing my toilet well.  You know: the…other one.’
‘Glad to hear it.’ 
‘Really well.’ 
‘Great.’ 
‘It’s like−’
‘Spare the detail, Nan.’
‘And also: the TV broke last week.  That’s another thing.  All these bloody things going wrong.’ 
‘Your TV didn’t break; the SCART lead came loose.’
‘That wasn’t me.  I couldn’t watch The Cube.  What was I supposed to do?  I ask you.  I was close to phoning the TV people myself.  Is whatshisname on tonight?’
Phillip Schofield?’
‘No, the other one.'
‘Simon Cowell?’
‘No.’
‘Noel Edmunds?’
‘Who?’
‘Deal or No Deal.’
‘Is he the one with the beard and the shirts?’
‘Yeah.’
‘No, not him.’
‘Simon Cowell?’
‘Yeah, him.’ 
I scan through the TV listing, ‘No, he’s not on tonight.’
‘Bloody TV.  I suppose football’s on again.  Or rugby.  Bloody rough game, that is.  I don’t see much sense in that.  All that pushing and shoving.  Where’s the fun in that?”
‘No football or rugby tonight.’
‘Your Granddad used to love watching the cricket.  And the tennis.  Pointless game.  All that back and forth.  Still, the world would be a right bloody strange place if everyone was the same.’

The role of the grandson affords certain privileges.  For one, Nan still gives me pocket money: six pounds each and every Thursday.  To refuse it is to risk upsetting an elderly lady.  That’s £312 per year – any more and I’ll have to start declaring it.  She’s a very generous Nan, but she likes to – should we say - get her point across.  When it’s just me visiting, she likes to have a moan.  But when mum goes to visit, she turns into Linda Blair at the holy water-flicking phase.  Hide the crucifixes.   

Mum’s an only child.    
 
On a Tuesday after school, mum, James and I would go to Nan and Granddad’s for tea.  As a kid, we’d listen to her “I said, she said” quick fire stories based on her latest disagreements while sat on a very rudimentary wooden bench I shared with my Granddad, who always sat in a very learned silence to the left of me.  My brother would sit at a foldout table (on which she’d put on a cold buffet every Tuesday for tea) by the door and my mum on a stool in front of the cooker.  Nan always stood when we went to visit, partly because there was no room left to sit and partly to assert her dominance.  She always stood by the sink in case she had to dry that single drop of water that spilled from the tap.  As the alpha female and perennial cleaner, she rubbed stainless steel clean of its shine.  Spoons would be dulled by her persistence.

You could still see your face in her cutlery, but the image was so blurry that you wouldn’t be any the wiser if a stranger had been staring back.    

My Nan and Grandad’s kitchen was a lot smaller than ours; you could get from one side to the other in less than two paces.  By contrast, the living room was like a storeroom of conveyer belt prizes.  It was by far the biggest and most comfortable room in the house, boasting one long three-seater settee and two single-seaters, a matching footrest, a colour TV and video, a piano, a selection of wines and spirits complete with glass decanter, a small trolley with a tea service, and everyone had unlimited access to it, just as long as Nan wasn’t home. 

And Nan was always home.    

Nowadays - at the grand old age of 87 - stories about the past are few and far between, and even fewer still are told with fondness.  But there is one story dating back to the 1930s that always manages to raise a smile. 

About the one-legged girl and the apple orchard. 

If you have a Nan called Mary who used to live in Avening Road, I know someone who would dearly love to talk to her.  They could happily reminisce about the fun they used to have with your nan's false leg in the apple orchard! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsa & Shabeezi

Samsa was now a human.  He’d recently become a human after his architect decided to put a human heart in him and give him feelings.  The five litres of blood that now pumped around his body warmed him up.  It made for incredible nose bleeds, spasms, cramps and bruising, to name o nly a small fraction of the symptoms, but his architect assured him that it would all be worth it and that he'd feel normal very soon.  He didn't know what normal was, but he knew it wasn't puking and shitting and bleeding all over the place for the first two months and then just feeling terrible for several weeks after that.  Human life is agony, he thought, but he trusted the process.  One day, a little over twelve weeks after the operation, he woke up from his first good night's sleep and was able to open the curtains without the light splitting his skull in two.  Samsa had known Shabeezi before she became a human woman.   All they had done was fight.   Samsa especially liked doing flying

When I Needed a Winter Project, I Turned to Dylan Thomas - a Tommy & Moon Story

Before the snow came the smell of cinnamon. I wanted to track it all the way back to its source, to see who gave it flight. I imagine a woman, seventy-five, making herself a cappuccino next to an open window. The air is cold and sharp but she needs a quick blast of late autumn’s best before she gets out with the whippet. Wisp is looking at her from her basket, scanning for indications from mum that her walk is coming. Don’t worry, Wisp: walkies is imminent - but then a song comes on the radio that she hasn’t heard in fifty years. The Serge Gainsbourg ballad throws her into a deep dream-state, a reverie that takes her all the way back to Paris. She walks to the cupboard to find the cinnamon shaker, brushing shoulders with actors and actresses who’d worked with Godard and Truffaut and Antonioni. She remembers the time she once saw Jane Birkin at a party and witnessed first-hand the effect her beauty had on all the men in the room. I was two miles away from home, running at an easy, stead

An Expert Analysis of Michael Fassbender's Running Style From the Film 'Shame'

Tom Wiggins: What are your first impressions of Michael Fassbender/Brandon's running style? Paul Whittaker: He's running nice, smooth and relaxed. He seems like he has a good amount of fitness and he is running well within himself in terms of pace.   TW: What improvements could he make to his running style? PW: The main improvement I'd make is his foot plant.  He lands heel first and this causes a 'breaking' effect when travelling forwards.  If he landed on his mid-foot/forefoot, this would be a much better for impact stress and propulsion going forward into the next running stride. TW: Regarding his speed, how many minutes per mile is he running? PW : I would say he is running approx 7-7.30 minutes per mile. TW:   What do you make of his stride lengths?  Is he overstriding/understriding? PW:  The actor is definitely overstriding in this clip.  It would help if his feet landed underneath and below his centre of gravity. TW: What's his